KOLKATA: With Sourav Ganguly missing from the KKR line-up, the onus will be on Bengal captain Manoj Tiwary to 'connect' with the Eden Gardens crowd during IPL 4. The stylish right-hander is in prime form, having led Bengal to glory in the national T20 championship. The KKR management has showed lot of faith in 'Manni' by picking him up at the auction for $475,000. The classy KKR middle-order batsman spoke to TOI, ahead of Friday's opener at the MA Chidambaram Stadium against the Chennai Super Kings.
Excerpts:
What has been your experience in the three seasons of IPL?
To be honest, I didn't have a proper feel of the IPL in the first two seasons. In my first season with the Delhi Daredevils, I batted in the middle-order where opportunities were rather limited. With Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir and Shikhar Dhawan in top form, the lower order didn't have much to do. In the second season, in South Africa, I got injured after playing just one match and didn't play thereafter. It was only after I moved to Kolkata Knight Riders in 2010 that I got a real feel of the competition.
Did the move to KKR help?
It did. KKR wanted me to bat up the order. I was even asked to open the innings which I was not accustomed to do. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge. Made an unbeaten 50 against RCB at the Eden Gardens and won the Man-of-the-Match award. Failed in the next two matches and was dropped against MI in Mumbai. Batted at No 4 against Kings XI Punjab in Mohali and made an unbeaten 75 off 47 balls to pick up my second MOM award. Overall, it was a good experience.
Did you enjoy rubbing shoulders with KKR stars?
Of course. I learnt much about batting in T20 cricket from Brad Hodge, who has a fantastic record in the shortest format of the game. Dadi (Sourav) has been a great source of inspiration for all of us in Bengal. Then there were the likes of Chris Gayle and Brendon McCullum. And last but not the least, Wasim Akram.
What are your expectations from IPL 4?
We have a new team and a new captain. Our first goal would be qualify for the semis and then take the final two steps. Personally, I would be looking to score consistently and targeting 4-5 MOM awards.
Will you be batting in the middle-order?
It depends on the role assigned to me by the team management. In our practice match at the Eden Gardens on Tuesday, I batted at No 3 and made 86 off 44 balls. Basically, I would be looking to contribute substantially in all three departments of the game.
Do you see the IPL as a medium to attract national recognition?
Of course, it is a huge platform. So many players have performed in the IPL and gone on to play for the country. Good performances in the IPL are bound to attract attention of the national selectors.
What's your take on the new-look KKR side?
We have an array of stars and quality all-rounders. I have played with Gautam Gambhir for Delhi Daredevils and lot of first-class cricket with Yusuf Pathan. Balaji is a very effective bowler in T20, while Unadkat is quite sharp. I am looking forward to playing alongside Kallis, Haddin, Brett Lee, Morgan, Shakib and Ten Doeschate.
Does KKR have the X-factor this season?
I would say, the arrival of Pathan and Lee gives us the edge. Moreover, we have a very balanced side and can go all the way.



0 comments:
Post a Comment